We know what you’re thinking, “Oh no, not another photo contest!” but hear us out!
We’re not looking for a selfie with the Eiffel Tower in the background, you “holding up” the Leaning Tower of Pisa, or you fake calling home from a red telephone booth.
This time we’re challenging you to Push Past the Cliché!
*Photos will be accepted NOW until January 5, 2015
[dt_stripe type=”1″]Contest Prizes[/dt_stripe]
There are 6 categories that you can enter to win, but let’s first talk about what you can win!
- Bragging rights, and a great resume booster (along with an official certificate to back it up!)
- Placement and recognition on the online Push Past the Cliché Photo Gallery, to be hosted on the USAC website
- A USAC goody-bag with custom USAC swag
- The chance to see your photograph used in a print or online promotion of USAC programs (in a catalog, on the website, etc)
- $250 in Frosch Travel Bucks to send you on your next adventure!
*Winners will be selected Friday, January 23rd.
[dt_stripe type=”1″]Contest Categories[/dt_stripe]
Submit up to 2 photographs per category (12 photos maximum):
They say a picture is worth a thousand words…. And this is one cliché we happen to agree with! Choose the one photo (or two) that best sums up or captures the spirit of your study abroad experience.
I Never Thought I Would…
Studying abroad is designed to be invigorating and meaningful simply by its nature—you are more alert, curious, and willing to explore because you are in a new place. Submit your favorite pics documenting the experiences you never thought you’d have.
The Moment I Knew I was a Local
Cultural immersion is one of the most important benefits of the study abroad experience! Send us pictures of the moment you truly felt like a local, whether that was exploring or discovering a personal heritage connection, the first time you ordered coffee in fluent Italian without realizing it, or ….. you tell us!
Outside the Classroom
Every facet of daily life while you are abroad has the potential to be a learning experience. Show us how you incorporated learning into your daily life—reading Shakespeare on a mountain top, visiting local markets to practice your Hindi, or eating pintxos with locals.
Did you forget about your US alma mater while you were abroad? We hope not! Either by design or by accident, you’ll probably wind up wearing some clothing or SWAG from your home university while doing something amazing or unique, and we want to see it!
Same as above, only we’d love to see you rocking USAC gear!
[dt_stripe type=”1″]Submission Instructions[/dt_stripe]
Photos must be submitted via email to email@example.com by January 5, 2015 (a second round of the contest will close on May 4, 2015).
- Participants Submitting Under One Category Only: Include in the body of the email your name, the term/location of your USAC program, the name of the category you are submitting under, and a brief description of each photo (where you are, what you are doing, who you are with, etc).
- Participants Submitting Under More Than One Category: Same as above but please name each file with the category you would like it considered under (THE Photo.jpg, School Spirit.tiff, Outside.raw, etc).
Questions can be directed to Kim Stenderup at firstname.lastname@example.org or 775-682-5858.
[dt_stripe type=”1″]Contest Guidelines[/dt_stripe]
The PPTC contest is open to current participants and alumni of USAC January, summer, semester, and yearlong programs. Photographs from any year may be submitted; however, due to resolution and format restrictions, it is unlikely that photographs taken before the availability of digital cameras will be considered.
- Resolution and Format: Photos must be high-quality (min 300 ppi) and submitted electronically in JPEG, TIFF, or RAW format. Scanned images of printed photographs will not be accepted.
- Limits on Submission: Participants may submit up to 2 photographs per category. Participants should consider sharing any additional photos not submitted for consideration in the PPTC contest with USAC by emailing them to email@example.com with the subject line “Share”, or by posting them to one of USAC’s social media channels with official hashtag and handle (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest).
- Original Work: Submitted photographs must be original material taken by the contest entrant. By entering the PPTC contest, participants acknowledge that the submitted photo(s) is/are original works created solely by the entrant and that no other party has any claim to the submitted photography. Photos previously submitted to USAC as part of another contest are not eligible for resubmission under this competition.
- Copyright and Usage:Photographers retain the copyright to their photographs. By entering the contest, photographers agree that
- Entries (including non-winning entries) may be selected for display or use on USAC web pages and promotional materials, without fee, compensation, or acknowledgement;
- USAC may display winning photos on their website;
- and that USAC may retain copies of the photograph for archival and promotional purposes.
So, whether you’re a USAC alumni or you’re about to study abroad, let us see what photos you have that Push Past the Cliché!